Pickled Watermelon Rinds
This simple pickle is a great way to minimize your food waste and tastefully use the scraps leftover from your watermelon. It’s a great addition to a salad, sandwich, or as a condiment for cheeses.
- Watermelon rinds from half of a large watermelon
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons agave, or other sweetener of choice
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
- Remove the green outer skin from the watermelon rinds and put into a large mason jar or other sealable container.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients and add to the jar. Shake and store in the fridge for up to 3 months.
I hope you enjoyed my recipe, it’s loosely based on a recipe from the book ‘NOPI’ by Yotam Ottolenghi & Ramael Scully. It’s cookbook with lovely recipes and one I would highly recommend, I recently did a review of the book, check out the links below!
NOPI by Yotam Ottolenghi & Ramael Scully
Recipes directly from the London all-day brasserie NOPI
Buying and viewing link of the book: