Vegan Pumpkin Bread
This pumpkin bread is super moist and full of flavor! A full cup of pumpkin puree lends it its warm golden color and subtle sweetness. Topped with vegan cream cheese frosting seals the deal on this one.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup nut butter: almond, cashew, peanut, sunflower seed, etc
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup raw cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coconut cream powder (optional)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups wheat flour
- If you’re making the pumpkin puree yourself, cut the pumpkin in half and roast them skin side down in a 205°C oven for about 40 minutes until flesh is very tender. Scoop out flesh and blend in a food processor to a smooth puree.
- Make your flax egg by combining the flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water. Let it sit for about ten minutes while combining the other ingredients
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- Using a whisk, combine all ingredients except for the baking powder and flour.
- Add in the flax egg and mix. Now add the baking powder and flour, mixing until combined. Make sure not to over-mix.
- Grease a loaf tin and pour the batter into it (it should be pretty thick). Bake in the oven for 40 minutes. I recommend checking on it from 35 minutes onwards as every oven is different.
- Once it’s ready, wait for the loaf to cool completely before frosting it.
- If you don’t have pumpkin on hand, you can easily use applesauce or mashed sweet potato instead!
- If you don’t have flax seed you can substitute it with chia seeds, or if you don’t care for keeping it vegan you can use an egg.
- If you don’t have coconut oil you can use vegan butter instead.