No Bake Thumbprint Cookies with Cherry Chia Jam
These simple No Bake Thumbprint Cookies are quick to make, mimicking the chewiness of a baked cookie without the cooking time. They can be topped off with this Cherry Chia Jam or any other jam of your choice! Chocolate also works..
Cherry Chia Jam:
- 1 1/2 cups pitted cherries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sweetener of choice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter, cashew butter, or other nut butter of choice
- 3 tablespoons brown rice syrup, maple syrup, or other liquid sweetener of choice
- 1 cup oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
Cherry Chia Jam:
- Add the cherries, water, lemon juice, sweetener, and vanilla to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Then turn down the heat and simmer at medium low heat for about 30 minutes until the water has thickened and the jam has reached your desired consistency.
- It’s up to you to make your jam as chunky or smooth as desired. To make it chunky, I left the cherries as whole as they were after pitting them and used an immersion blender briefly at the end of cooking to slightly bring together the jam. If you want it to be entirely smooth, then I recommend blending the cherries beforehand and then cooking them in the same way. Note that the cooking time might be a little longer when blended.
- Once the jam is finished, stir in the chia seeds and transfer to a sterilised jar. You’ll end up with about a 3/4 cup of jam.
- Heat the peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl at high in 30 second increments (It takes me 2 x 30 seconds), stirring in between, until it has a porous look to it.
- Stir in the liquid sweetener and vanilla until combined and then add the oats. Mix the mixture thoroughly, you might have to use your hands towards the end as it will have a slightly crumbly texture. Using a cookie scoop or your hands form balls of dough and press down into a flat cookie shape, with an indent for the jam filling.
- Now you can add a spoonful of the Cherry Chia Jam into the indent of each cookie. Transfer the cookies to the fridge or freezer and let them get firm and cold for at least 10 minutes before eating. They should be stored in the fridge.
- Any store bought jam or dried fruit compote would work just as well! Alternatively you can fill the indent with melted chocolate or chocolate buttons.